Biography and Interesting Facts
Early Spring in Kap
Margot and Bruce
Margot was born and raised in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. She graduated from Mount Allison University with a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree. Following graduation she decided to pursue her art full time. Margot has gone on to exhibit her artwork around the world, participating in 140 International Exhibits, most of them Juried Competitions, in 16 countries. This has included shows throughout Canada and the United States, as well as shows in Greece, Germany, Bulgaria, India, Spain, Australia, Poland, England, Turkey, Mexico, France, Romania, United Arab Emirate, and Japan. Margot has won 15 Awards for her artwork at International Juried Competitions. A complete list of Margot’s Exhibitions and Awards can be seen under the ‘Exhibits’ tab at the top of her web site.
Margot has been elected as a member of the Federation of Canadian Artists and the Society of Canadian Artists. Margot is pleased and honored to be included among the Artists who are showcasing Canadian Artwork to an international audience.
Margot has also had 43 solo exhibitions, including shows in Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and on the U.S. Virgin Islands. She also participates in numerous local, regional, provincial and National shows. Margot is one of the Ontario artists whose artwork is regularly included in Provincial exhibits, and her art has been included in many exhibitions that have toured around northern Ontario.
Margot is married to Bruce Splane, they have three children. After leaving Saint John, NB, Margot’s family spent 5 years in Kapuskasing, Ontario. In 2001 the family was relocated to Timmins ON, where Margot and her husband currently reside. Margot works on her acrylic paintings and collages in the winter and on her serigraph prints in the summer. Margot pulls all of her serigraphs in her studio. While the tools Margot uses are modern, the technique of pulling the colours in layers, is done using the traditional silk screen printing method, which originated in China over 1000 years ago. For more information on serigraph printing, click Margot’s website link ‘Art in Progress’, then ‘Creating a Hand Pulled Serigraph’.
While at University, Margot studied under David Silverberg, and Thaddeus Holownia. She has also received technical advice from artists Alex Colville, Ken Danby, Lindee Climo, and Fred Ross.
“I am very grateful for the position that my artwork has given me, to share my views with an audience.”
Public Collections Margot’s Art is held In:
- Art Museum of Prahova County, Poliesti, Romania Antonio Gualda Wing, Museo De Arte Contemporaneo, Durango, Mexico
- “Humor of the People’s” art collection in Gabrovo, Bulgaria
- The Beaverbrook Art Gallery in Fredericton, New Brunswick
- The Owens Art Gallery at Mount Allison University, Sackville, New Brunswick
- The Provincial Art Bank Collection in New Brunswick
- Irving Oil Corporation’s head office collection, Saint John, New Brunswick
- Cortech Consulting, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Margot’s art is held in numerous private collections throughout Canada the United States, as well as around the world.
International Media Coverage
- International Contemporary Artists Vol 1, a book published by ICA Publishing, based out of New York, NY, and Athens Greece, copyright 2010;
- Best of Worldwide Watermedia Artists Volume 1, a book published by Kennedy Publishing, Williamsburg, VA,USA, copyright 2009; USA.
- Free Art Tomorrow, New York, NY, USA, November 2008 issue;
- City Beat, Cincinnati’s News and Entertainment Weekly, in Cincinnati Ohio, USA, on January 3, 2007
- The Cincinnati Enquirer in Cincinnati Ohio, USA, on July 21, 2006.
- Also in Greece by GNOMI TV; KYDON TV; and KRITI TV, as well as the Kyrix; the Haniotika Nea; and the Nea Kriti Newspapers. The Greece reviews were all on December 3rd or 4th, 2002, following a press conference for a 3 person show at the Omma Center of Contemporary art in Greece.
National Media Coverage
- SCA news Winter 2011
- Geez Magazine: National Post – Arts Review. “Canadian one of Twenty Artists Worldwide Accepted into Exhibit” December 2nd 2007
- Canada AM took an interview that Margot did locally and ran it on their national show November 7th 2008.
A Partial list of Regional Reviews
Margot’s art has been the subject of numerous regional articles and interviews, a partial list including such media and publications as: Points North, CBC Radio, 2015, CARFAC Ontario, The Voice For Professional Artists, DISPATCH, Winter 2011; MCTV News for North Eastern Ontario; the MCTV Evening News Timmins; Persona TV Timmins; The Daily Press in Timmins; The Timmins Times; the Sudbury Star; C.B.C. Radio Sudbury; The Northern Times Kapuskasing; Fundy Cable Art Club Chronicles; C.H.S.J. T.V. Midday; C.B.C. Radio, Moncton; C.B.C. Radio, Saint John; The Daily Gleaner, Fredericton; The Times Transcript, Moncton; C.B.C. Radio Halifax; Maritime Sunday Morning; The Atlantic Advocate; The Evening Times Globe, Saint John; and The Chronicle Herald, Halifax.